Where ever you are, what ever time zone your in and however you are planning to see in the New Year - 2011 is approaching fast.
As well as finalizing last minute arrangements and making "Happy New Year" calls and texts to family and friends, your thoughts are likely to be turning to New Years Resolutions. Thinking about the ones that didn't get kept in 2010 and what you are hoping for the year ahead.
As the Times Square Ball in New York is in place, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the London Eye and venues all around the world have the fireworks ready to go - there may not be too much you can do to salvage 2010's unkept resolutions. 2010 is pretty well done, whether your goals were achieved or not, 2011 is a do-over. It's time to think about where you are now and what you want your for your future.
As I write this blog (from sunny Sydney with only 8 hours until 2011) the top trending topic worldwide on twitter is #myresolution. Some resolutions are very specific like weight loss, income and business goals. Others are big picture with people posting about the type of people they want to be. There's also some that tickled my funny bone like '#myresolution is 1280 by 1064 pixels'.
Whether you are into the yearly resolution process or not - it's hard for the topic not to nag you or at least cross your mind.
To help out your thinking here's 10 quotes I've come across in the last couple of days that might prompt you to dream big.
1. Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right! - Henry Ford
2. Whatever you are, be a good one - Abraham Lincoln
3. Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground - Theodore Roosevelt
4. This is your world. Shape it or someone else will - Gary Lew
5. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams - Henry David Thoreau
6. The successful person makes a habit of doing what the failing person doesn't like to do - Thomas Edison
7. Success is a matter of luck. Ask any failure - Earl Nightingale
8. Never, never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill
9. It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
10. When it is obvious the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps - Confucius
And some final words for 2010 from Oscar Wilde, "Life is too important to be taken seriously".
Enjoy your celebrations and contemplations and I look forward to connecting with you in 2011.
Happy New Year!